Friday, June 8, 2007

I am a SAHM...BUUUUUUT

I don't define myself by my 'stay at home mom' status, but others apparently do. We are away from home, meeting some coworkers of my husbands from the company here and the question comes up of the other spouses "what do you do?" but no one seems to think to ask me. Somehow, it's been established that I'm a SAHM and I guess that should be it, right? That's what I do, that's who I am...but it's not. I guess I define myself most often as an artist. That's what I associate myself with, that's my identity...besides the other little quirks that make up my personality, and yes, somewhat I define myself as a SAHM...but I was an artist long before my daughter came along and I will remain an artist long after my daughter moves away from home.

I guess it's asking too much to expect people to see past the SAHM in me. I just feel a bit invisible under the definintion.

No comments: